AAOHN.org News Archive
- CDC Health Alert 392 issued June 21, 2016: CDC Recommendations for Subsequent Zika IgM Antibody Testing (June 22, 2016)
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain - Access the webinar. (June 22, 2016)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (June 20, 2016)
- AAOHN members are invited to join a weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call hosted by NAOHP on Monday, June 20 at 12 p.m. ET. Learn more. (June 20, 2016)
- CDC Alert to U.S. Healthcare Facilities:First mcr-1 Gene in E. coli Bacteria found in a Human in the United States. (June 14, 2016)
- The National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable has launched a new Hepatitis C Treatment Access Resource Page. (June 13, 2016)
- AAOHN members are invited to join the NAOHP Weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call, Monday, June 13 at 12 p.m. EDT. Learn more. (June 10, 2016)
- Webinar and discussion: Corrections, Drug Pricing, and Hepatitis C: A Systems Analysis and Discussion - Monday, June 20th, 2016, 11:00am Pacific/2:00pm Eastern (June 9, 2016)
- NVHR Co-Hosting Twitter Hep Chat - June 15, 2016 at 2 p.m. EDT (June 8, 2016)
- From CDC: Interim Guidance for Interpretation of Zika Virus Antibody Test Results (June 6, 2016)
- AAOHN members are invited to join a weekly Occupational Health Town Hall Call hosted by NAOHP/Ryan Associates Mondays at 12 p.m. EDT. Register here. (June 6, 2016)
- CDC COCA announces Training and Coferences (June 6, 2016)
- June is National Safety Month and AAOHN is joining with the National Safety Council and other organizations across the country to raise awareness for what it takes to stay Safe for Life.https://youtu.be/lfMFE3dTtcI #Safe4Life (June 2, 2016)
- Did you graduate from a CNS program? If so. your response is needed for a survey from the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists. Take survey here. (June 1, 2016)
- NVHR Newsletter - May 2016 (June 1, 2016)
- Resources like the guide, New Beginnings: A Discussion Guide for Living Well with Diabetes, are available from NDEP for helping people learn to manage the emotional side of living with diabetes. (May 26, 2016)
- CDC Health Alert: Diagnostic Testing of Urine Specimens for Suspected Zika Virus Infection (May 25, 2016)
- Free CDC COCA call - May 24, 2016 - Tickborne Illnesses - Learn more. Also, visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates.(May 23, 2016)
- COCA Clinical Reminder: Advising Men and Women About Zika (May 20, 2016)
- On Thursday, May 19, the White House will host a National Hepatitis Testing Day observence. Watch live from 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. EDT. (May 18, 2016)
- NVHR and AJMC to host Congressional Briefing, Ending Hepatitis C, May 23, 2016, 12 p.m. EDT in Washington, DC. You're invited to urge members of Congress to attend. (May 18, 2016)
- Special NVHR Conference Call: A National Strategy for the Elimination of Hepatitis B & C, Monday, May 16, 2016, at 2 p.m. EDT. (May 16, 2016)
- Join the weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call hosted by NAOHP, Monday, May 16, 2016, at 12 p.m. EDT. (May 16, 2016)
- Total Worker Health in Action! - May 2016 (May 12, 2016)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (May 9, 2016)
- Join the weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call hosted by NAOHP, Monday, May 9 at 12 p.m. EDT. (May 8, 2016)
- CDC COCA Training and Conference Announcement (May 8, 2016)
- Press Release fron NVHR: National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable Applauds American Journal of Managed Care’s Special Hepatitis C Issue (May 6, 2016)
- AAOHN members are invited to join a weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call hosted by NAOHP. Join today's callat 12 p.m. ET. (May 2, 2016)
- From the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable: NVHR Newsletter - April 2016 (April 28, 2016)
- May is Hepatitis Awareness Month, and May 19th marks the fifth national Hepatitis Testing Day in the United States. Help to promote hepatitis awareness. (April 27, 2016)
- CDC to offer free webinar/conference call May 12, 2016: Drivers of Infectious Diseases: Connections Matter (April 27, 2016)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) pagefor the latest COCA updates. (April 26, 2016)
- Hepatitis Testing Day Planning Call is Thursday, April 21 at 3 p.m. ET. Get details. (Apri 19, 2016)
- CDC Releases New Phase of Know More Hepatitis Campaign - Learn more. (April 18, 2016)
- AAOHN members are invited to attend the NAOHP weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call, Monday, April 11 at 12 p.m. EDT. Learn more. (April 10, 2016)
- CDC COCA Call: Updated Interim Zika Clinical Guidance for Reproductive Age Women and Men, Sexual Transmission of Zika, and the U.S. Zika Pregnancy Registry - Join the free call April 12, 2016. (April 7, 2016)
- Join NVHR for a Hepatitis Testing Day Planning Call, April 21, 2016 - Learn more. (April 7, 2016)
- Register For Innovations in diabetes screening and interventions for Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islandershttp://cc.readytalk.com/r/te82oaf4j77z (April 7, 2016)
- Join NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call today at 12 p.m. ET. Learn more. (April 4, 2016)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (March 29, 2016)
- Upcoming COCA Call: Thursday March 31 - Synthetic Cannabinoids: Information and Guidance for Clinicians
- CDC Launches New Phase of Know More Hepatitis B Campaign
- NAOHP Town Hall - March 21, 2016 12 Noon Eastern
- CMS Releases Interactive Mapping Medicare Disparities Tool (March 17, 2016)
- OHNs, encourage employees to know their diabetes risk. NDEP offers a free, online risk test. (March 16, 2016)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (March 14, 2016)
- AAOHN Becomes a NIOSH Total Worker Health® Affiliate - Read the press release. (March 14, 2016)
- NVHR Webinar: Innovative Strategies for Addressing Hepatitis C in Indian Country(March 7, 2015)
- AAOHN members are invited to attend the weekly NAOHP Occupational Health Town Hall, Monday, March 7 at 12 p.m. ET. Learn more. (March 6, 2017)
- Catherine Pepler, a past president of AAOHN, will attend the 2016 Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) conference, March 6-8 in Arlington, Va. Pepler also served as a member of the Nursing Organizations Alliance's 2016 NIWI Scholarship Review Work Team, which awarded scholarships for the confernce.Learn more. (March 2, 2016)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (March 1, 2016)
- New - The Complete Course: Practical Training in Occupational Health Sales & Marketing (February 25, 2016)
- COCA Call announcement: Update on Interim Zika Virus Clinical Guidance and Recommendations February 25 at 2 p.m. (February 24, 2016)
- CDC Health Alert Network (HAN) Health Advisory: Interim Guidelines for Prevention of Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus — United States, 2016(February 23, 2016)
- Free COCA continuing education call, Feb. 23: High Burden, Great Opportunity: Preventing Heart Attacks and Strokes(February 22, 2016)
- NAOHP seeks input from those who have attended its weekly Occupational Health Town Hall. Complete the survey. (February 22, 2016)
- Join NAOHP's Occupational Health Town Hall today, Feb. 22, at 12 p.m. ET. Topic: Benchmarking and outcome development (February 22, 2016)
- NVHR Webinar - Hepatitis C Patient Advocates: Sharing Innovative Work in Their Communities February 18, 2016 at 12-1 p.m. PST, 3-4 p.m. EST (February 16, 2016)
- Two Upcoming COCA Calls: Tuesday, Feb 16 - Influenza Activity and Tuesday, Feb 23 - Heart Attacks and Stroke(February 10, 2016)
- NVHR Press Release: President's Budget Fails to Address Severity of Viral Hepatitis Epidemic (February 10, 2016)
- News from NVHR: Hepatitis Testing Innovation Contest (February 8, 2016)
- Join NAOHP's Occupational Health Town Hall call on Monday, February 8, 12:00-12:30 p.m. Topic: Occupational Health Sales and Marketing (February 5, 2016)
- AAOHN members have access to many resources from NAOHP. Learn moreabout how to access NAOHP's members-only resources. (February 3, 2016)
- Read the latest issue of Total Worker Health in Action! from NIOSH. (February 3, 2016)
- NVHR Webinar - Hepatitis C Patient Advocates: Sharing Innovative Work in Their Communities (February 3, 2016)
- Save the Date - Tuesday, Feb. 23, 1:00-2:30 p.m. EST - The NDEP Hispanic/Latino Stakeholder Group will host the American Diabetes Association's 2016 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Live Webinar with guest speaker Catherine Maxwell, PharmD, CDE. Details to come. (February 2, 2016)
- CDC Health Advisory: Flu Season Begins: Severe Influenza Illness Reported (February 1, 2016)
- AAOHN members are invited to join NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call today at 12 p.m. ET. Learn more. (February 1, 2016)
- CDC Health Advisory: CDC Urging Dialysis Providers and Facilities to Assess and Improve Infection Control Practices to Stop Hepatitis C Virus Transmission in Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis (Janury 27, 2016)
- Zika Virus - What Clinicians Need to Know - Join the CDC COCA Conference Call (January 26, 2016)
- NVHR Policy Call Recording and IOM Feedback Information now available.Learn more. (January 25, 2016)
- CDC 6|18 Initiative: Accelerating Evidence into Action - Join the web forum Wednesday, February 3, 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. PST. (January 22, 2016)
- Join NVHR at Hepatitis on the Hill 2016 - General registration ends Feb. 1. Learn more. (January 22, 2016)
- A special NVHR Policy Call with Dr. John Ward is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 22. Learn more. (January 20, 2016)
- CDC Health Advisory: Recognizing, managing and reporting Zika virus infections in travelers returning from Central America, South America, the Caribbean and Mexico (January 15, 2016)
- Webinar: Addressing Hepatitis C through Corrections-Public Health Partnerships (January 11, 2015)
- Join NVHR at Hepatitis on the Hill, March 6-8, 2016. Scholarship deadline is January 15. Learn more. (January 6, 2016)
- Join a weekly Town Hall meeting focused on occupational health topics, hosted by NAOHP. Calls take place on Mondays, beginning January 11, 12-13:30 p.m. ET.Learn more and register here. (January 5, 2016)
- CDC COCA publishes a list of Conference and Training opportunities in 2016. Read more. (January 5, 2016)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (January 5, 2016)
- Nurses Rank as Most Honest, Ethical Profession for 14th Straight Year - Read the press release. (December 21, 2015)
- Today the Senate passed a Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 omnibus of $1.1 trillion, funding the federal government through the end of the fiscal year (Sept. 30, 2016). It will now go to the President’s desk for his signature, and he is expected to sign it. Overall, the package provides a total of $162.1 billion (an increase of $5.4 billion over FY 2015) for the Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education appropriations bill. For the full text of the legislation, click here. To view the Nursing Community funding chart, click here. (December 18, 2015)
- Join NVHR at Hepatitis on the Hill. (December 17, 2015)
- USBJI calls for applications for Young Investogator Career Development & Grant Mentoring Program. Deadline is January 15, 2016. Learn more. (December 16, 2015)
- NVHR press release: FY2016 Funding Bill Falls Short in Fight Against Hepatitis B and C (December 16, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (December 8, 2015)
- Join Truth Initiative Dec. 8 for its webcast of Smoke-Free New Orleans: Exploring the Impact of Community Engagement. (December 4, 2015)
- Healthy People 2020 and the Diabetes Advocacy Alliance will present, "Empowering People to Manage Their Diabetes: A Healthy People 2020 Spotlight on Health Webinar," December 10, 2015. Learn more and register. (December 2, 2015)
- What's Work Got to Do With It? An NIH Pathways to Prevention workshop on Total Worker Health is scheduled for Dec. 9-10. Learn more. (December 1, 2015)
- Join the December 2015 NVHR Policy Update Call, Monday, Dec. 7. (November 30, 2015)
- Members: Deadline Extended - Apply by Dec. 10 for chapter awards, individual and business awards, and AAOHN Foundation scholarships. (You may need to log in to view this information.)
- ANA announces new ANCC president and a new white paper, “Optimal Nurse Staffing to Improve Quality of Care and Patient Outcomes.” (November 30, 2015)
- Join the December 2015 NVHR Policy Update Call, Monday, Dec. 7. (November 30, 2015)
- The International Association of Clinical Research Nurses (IACRN) is seeking professional and public input on the first scope and standards of practice for the specialty practice of Clinical Research Nursing. The document, Scope and Standards of Practice for Clinical Research Nursing, was formally presented at the 7th annual IACRN conference, in Baltimore, MD on October 15, 2015. The document is currently open for public comments at http://iacrn.memberlodge.org/ until November 30, 2015. (November 24, 2015)
- CDC Foundation launches Business Pulse: Workplace Safety and Health. Also, see related article from Yahoo News. (November 19, 2015)
- Congress will be making its federal funding decisions this week – Now is the time to call your Representatives to ask for their support for increased funding for the Division of Viral Hepatitis at CDC. Learn more. (November 18, 2015)
- Today is #SaveAHRQ Tweet Day. This toolkit can help you voice your support for AHRQ on Twitter and in other social networks. Learn more. (November 17, 2015)
- Free webinar: Stay Ahead of the Curve - Don't Become A Case Study: Malpractice Claim Trends for Nurse Practitioners, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. ET.
- NSO NP webinar flyer (November 10, 2015)
- Members: Apply by Dec. 1 for chapter awards, individual and business awards, and AAOHN Foundation scholarships. (You may need to log in to view this information.) (November 10, 2015)
- Announcements from NAOHP(November 10, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) pagefor the latest COCA updates. (November 10, 2015)
- Read the latest edition of Total Worker Health in Action. (November 6, 2015)
- Free Total Worker Health Learning opportunities: Dec. 9-10, 2015 - NIH Pathways to Prevention Workshop: Total Worker Health - What's Work Got to Do with It? Attendees may view the live videocast athttp://videocast.nih.gov/ or join in person at the NIH campus in Bethesda, Maryland. Registration and more workshop details are available on the NIH Office of Disease Prevention website at https://prevention.nih.gov/twh. January 19, 2016 NIOSH Total Worker Health Webinar Series: Advancing Working Family Well-being - Details coming soon. (November 4, 2015)
- On Wednesday, Nov. 4, join a conference call with President Barack Obama and Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell to discuss the upcoming open enrollment period for the Health Insurance Marketplaces. Time: 2:25 p.m. ET To receive the dial-in information, click here and enter access code 373038. (November 3, 2015)
- On Tuesday, Nov. 10, Research!America will host the webinar “The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and Health Services Research: A Conversation with Director Dr. Richard Kronick" (November 3, 2015)
- The National Advisory Council for AHRQ is meeting today. The event is being live-streamed and will be available for viewing through 2:45 p.m. ET (November 3, 2015)
- NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall is open to AAOHN members. Register here and join the next call, Monday, November 2 at 12 p.m. ET. (November 2, 2015)
- AAOHN encourages members to review Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's letter to Senate colleagues requesting funding for NIOSH's ERCs and AgFF program in the 2016 budget.
- With the Senate proposing to eliminate the NIOSH AgFF program, it is important for our organizations’ members and advocates to contact their elected officials by Tuesday, Nov. 3 to request that they sign on to the letter. The National Safety Council has created an easy way for people to contact their senators here. It will allow you to send a letter to your two U.S. Senators in a matter of minutes. In addition, the attached House Dear Colleague has been circulating for the last month and is still open for signatures. Advocates who have not already contacted their Member of Congress in the House to request that he or she sign on to the House Dear Colleague letter, can do so by clicking here. (October 29, 2015)
- News from NVHR: OASIS - A film about a community-based clinic treating current and former drug users for hepatitis C (October 28, 2015)
- NSO will host a complimentary webinar for NPs. Earn CNE credit for the webinar entitled, “Stay Ahead of the Curve – Don’t Become a Case Study: Malpractice Claim Trends for NPs,” Nov. 12, 2015, at 1 p.m. ET. (October 27, 2015)
- As an affiliate organization of ANA, AAOHN shares upcoming opportunities with members, including a free webinar. See flyer: ANA flyer for affiliate orgs (October 27, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) pagefor the latest COCA updates. (October 26, 2015)
- CDC Health Advisory: Increases in Fenatnyl Drug Confiscations and Fentanyl Related Overdose Fatalities(October 26, 2015)
- NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall is open to AAOHN members. Register here and join the next call, Monday, October 26 at 12 p.m. ET. (October 26, 2015)
- AAOHN launches free educational series, Managing Diabetes in the Workplace - A Year of Education and Resources. Read the press release. (October 23, 2015)
- AAOHN and the occupational health nursing profession is featured in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's policy brief, Charting Nursing's Future (September 2015 issue). Learn more. (October 23, 2015)
- NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall is open to AAOHN members.Register here and join the next call, Monday, October 19 at 12 p.m. ET. (October 19, 2015)
- NIOSH announces new Total Worker Health® center to promote lifelong worker well-being. Read more. (October 14, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (October 13, 2015)
- The NC Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center (NC OSHERC) has received funding to provide short-term awards for 3-4 pilot research projects. NCOSHERC Call for Proposals (October 7, 2015)
- CDC/FDA Health Update about the Immediate Need for Healthcare Facilities to Review Procedures for Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sterilizing Reusable Medical Devices (October 2, 2015)
- AAOHN is proud to have representation in the newly formed Adult Vaccine Access Coalition (AVAC), working to provide consistent and sustained education and advocacy in Washington, DC for vaccine access. To learn more about AVAC’s mission, visit http://www.adultvaccinesnow.org/ (September 29, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (September 28, 2015)
- The National Safety Coucil has provided an online mechanism to voice your support for NIOSH funding. Please click here to contact your legislators. (September 24, 2015)
- NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall is open to AAOHN members.Register here and join the next call, Monday, September 21 at 12 p.m. ET. (September 21, 2015)
- Free CDC Coca Conference Call, Sept. 17: Weathering the Storm: The Mental Health Impact of Hurricane Sandy (September 16, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) pagefor the latest COCA updates. (September 15, 2015)
- AAOHN members are invited to attend Ryan Associates/NAOHP Fall Webinar series: AAOHN Information Systems in Occupational Health Management. Learn more. (September 14, 2015)
- A health policy fellowship is available in the office that coordinates the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ efforts to improve patient safety, including prevention of adverse drug events and health care-associated infections. Learn more. (September 10, 2015)
- Upcoming calls and webinars offered by CDC COCA (September 8, 2015)
- NIOSH Releases PROTEJASE: Multi-media tools for Spanish-Speaking Immigrant Workers -
- Protéjase features multi-media tools to help organizations that serve Spanish-speaking immigrant workers raise awareness about occupational safety and health and motivate workers to take action to prevent risks and improve workplace safety and health. Four booklets/brochures, two posters, and five real-worker testimonial videos—all in Spanish—can be viewed and downloaded free of charge athttp://go.usa.gov/362w3 (English website) and http://go.usa.gov/362wT(Spanish website). The theme of these materials is La Salud No Tiene Precio—Health Has No Price—and each material in the series has gone through extensive testing with the intended audience. The materials provide evidence-based information to raise awareness about potential occupational safety and health issues and encourage workers to seek assistance for any related questions or concerns they have. (September 3, 2015)
- CDC COCA Update: Continued Vigilance Urged for Cases of Acute Flaccid Myelitis (August 31, 2015)
- Enhanced AFM Surveillance
- NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall is open to AAOHN members. Register here and join the next call, Monday, August 31 at 12 p.m. ET. (August 28, 2015)
- Free continuing education conference call offered Thursday, Aug. 20 by CDC: CRE and C. difficile - Is your healthcare facility implementing the necessary approach to stop the spread? (August 19, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (August 17, 2015)
- RYAN Associates' fall webinar series will address Information Management and Systems in Occupational Health. Register here. Series begins September 17. (August 17, 2015)
- The National Diabetes Education Program’s DiabetesAtWork.Org Facebook page offers resources for those working in the workplace health, safety and wellness areas. (August 7, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (August 4, 2015)
- More on World Hepatitis Day from NVHR. (July 29, 2015)
- On World Hepatitis Day, California organizations launch campaign to encourage primary care clinicians to screen patients for Hepatitis C. (July 28, 2015)
- From CDC/NIOSH: Total Worker Health newsletter - July 2015 (July 27, 2015)
- On July 28, 2015, tune into a World Hepatitis Day Event: Working Together to Improve Viral Hepatitis Outcomes in the U.S. Learn more. (July 23, 2015)
- Opportunity from the National League of Nursing (NLN) Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA): Serve as an on-site program evaluator. All on-site programs evaluators will be trained in the responsibilities associated with participating in on-site evaluation team visits and preparing team reports prior to being assigned to a team. Applications are due August 21, 2015. (July 20, 2015)
- New NVHR Fact Sheet: The Urgency of Hepatitis C Screening for Baby Boomers (July 14, 2015)
- Free webinar: Sedentary Work: Implementations and Interventions for Worker Safety and Health, July 13, 2015, 2:30-4:00 p.m. EDT. Learn more and register. (June 30, 2015)
- From NVHR: Huge win in the fight against viral hepatitis. (June 29, 2015)
- The occupational health nursing specialty is profiled in the current issue of Nurse.com. Read it here. (June 25, 2015)
- The U.S. Bone and Joint Initiative offers free public education programs such as Fit to a T and Experts in Arthritis. Learn more and find out how to schedule an education session in your workplace. (June 24, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (June 23, 3015)
- CDC Health Advisory: Clinical Considerations for the Evaluation of Ill Travelers from Liberia to the United States (June 19, 2015)
- Two upcoming CDC COCA calls to note: Ebola: Clinical Updates with a Global Perspective, June 17, 2 p.m. EDT; and Cyclosporiasis: Detecting, Investigating, and Preventing Cases and Outbreaks of this Foodborne Parasitic Disease, June 18, 2 p.m. EDT. (June 16, 2015)
- Action Needed! Urge your House Representative to Support Increased Hepatitis B and C Funding. (June 15, 2015)
- CDC Health Alert Netowrk - Health Advisory: Updated Information and Guidelines for Evaluation of Patients for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) Infection (June 11, 2015)
- CDC will host a call on Thursday, June 11, 2 p.m. EDT to discuss Updated Information and Guidelines for Evaluation of MERS. (June 10, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (June 10, 2015)
- CDC will host a call on Monday, June 8, 2-3 p.m. EDT to discuss changes in screening and monitoring of travelers entering the United States from Liberia. Toll Free: 877-891-6975 Participant Passcode: 2824247 (June 5, 2015)
- AAOHN President Jeannie Tomlinson, MSN, RN, COHN-S, FAAOHN, and Immediate Past President Pam Carter, MSN, RN, COHN-S, FAAOHN, have been named to "The 50 People Who Most Influenced Employee Health & Safety in 2014-2015" in the May 2015 issue of EHS Today. (June 5, 2015)
- CDC Health Alert Network Health Advisory - Ciprofloxacin- and Azithromycin-Nonsusceptible Shigellosis in the United States (June 4, 2015)
- CDC conference call: Monday, June 1, 4-5 pm EDT to discuss: (1) CDC’s support for DOD's sample investigation, (2) changes in screening and monitoring of travelers entering the United States from Liberia, (3) HPAI H5 Outbreak
- Dial-in Number: 1-630-395-0176 OR (Toll Free) 1-888-390-1249; Participant Passcode: 6410404 (May 30, 2015)
- Webinar: Strategies for Hepatitis C Treatment Access June 9, 2015, 3 p.m. EDT (May 29, 2015)
- Join NIOSH Total Worker Health for a free webinar, Disability Prevention Research: A Look to the Future, May 29, 2015
- 12-2 PM EDT. Preregister here. (May 27, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (May 26, 2015)
- CDC Conference Call, May 28, 2015: Emerging and Exotic Diseases of Food Animals Threaten Global Food Security (May 21, 2015)
- AAOHN Fellow Lisa Pompeii, PhD, COHN-S, FAAOHN, is quoted by Bloomberg BNA in its May 18, 2015, Occupational Safety and Health Reporter article on the new OSHA/NIOSH Hospital Respiratory Protection Toolkit. http://ow.ly/NclUr (Article available to Bloomberg BNA subscribers) (May 20, 2015)
- NIOSH/OSHA has released the new Hospital Respiratory Protection Toolkit. This is an excellent resource for hospitals’ Respiratory Protection Program Administrator who is responsible for leading the program, as well as the team members. It includes all of the required elements that OSHA mandates in the respiratory protection program, but is tailored to the hospital setting and workforce. (May 19, 2015)
- Quick Hepatitis Updates (May 18, 2015)
- NVHR Twitter chat for National Hispanic Hepatitis Awareness Day - Friday, May 15. Join the chat. Plus, take advantage of free health promotion tools for National Viral Hepatitis Month 2015. (May 14, 2015)
- May 21 Webinar: Viral Hepatitis Preventive Services and the Affordable Care Act (May 13, 2015)
- AAOHN members are invited to attend NAOHP's weekly Occupational Health Town Hall call at the member rate (free). The next call is Monday, May 18, 12:00-12:30 p.m. EDT. Topic: Developing a proactive communications plan. This session will be moderated by Donna Lee Gardner. Participate online here or call (702) 489-0007, access code: 865-023-554# (May 13, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (May 12, 2015)
- NAOHP Town Hall - Monday, May 11 AAOHN members may participate at the NAOHP member rate (free). (May 11, 2015)
- Webinar, May 7: Hepatitis C and African American Women (April 27, 2015)
- N.A.O.H.P. is offering AAOHN members their Spring Webinar series at member rates ($89). (You may need to register by phone to ensure the NAOHP member rate.) “The Innovative use of Social Media in Healthcare Marketing," Thursdays, May 7, 14 and 21 at 12:00 PM Eastern time. The three-session series is intended to go well beyond the basics, stressing recent and coming innovations and model applications. Includes a spectacular 13-person faculty from all perspectives of healthcare social media. CNE offered. Get more information and register. (April 27, 2015)
- Urge your members of Congress to attend Viral Hepatitis Reception on May 12. Learn more. (April 22, 2015)
- AAOHN and ACOEM Press Release: Major Occupational Health Groups Publish Guidance for Employers on the Impact of Marijuana in the Workplace (April 20, 2015)
- AAOHN Press Release: Occupational Health Nursing Week is April 19-25. (April 20, 2015)
- NVHR Newsletter - April 2015 (April 17, 2015)
- National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health presents a webinar, Moving to a Model of Wellness: Workplace Cancer Prevention and Health Promotion Programs, April 21, 2:00-3:00 p.m. EDT. (April 9, 2015)
- The Joint Commission Monograph, Implementing Hospital Respiratory Protection Programs: Strategies from the Field, is now available. (April 8, 2015)
- Get ready for Hepatitis Awareness Month and the fourth annual national Hepatitis Testing Day on May 19. Learn more. (April 8, 2015)
- Webinar, April 28: Hepatitis C Prevention Opportunities among People Who Inject Drugs – Confronting the Growing Epidemic (April 7, 2015)
- CDC COCA Conference Call: Emergency Preparedness for Clinicians - From Guidelines to the Front Line - Thursday, March 26, 2 p.m. ET (March 15, 2015)
- Press Release: AAOHN Urges Support for Bill to Increase Veterans' Access to Health Services (March 13, 2015)
- ASSE presents a live webinar, March 27: Z490.1 - 2015 Criteria for Accepted Practices in Safety, Health & Environmental Training (March 11, 2015)
- Urge your house representative to support increased Hepatitis B and C Funding Learn more. (March 11, 2015)
- A video recording and slides from a recent webinar, "Living with Hepatitis B - Cultural Barriers, Stigma, and Institutional Discrimination," are now available. (March 4, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (March 3, 2015)
- Total Worker Health Webinar Series - Preserving Lung Health: At Work & Beyond, Thursday, March 12, 11:30 a.m. CDT (March 2, 2015)
- Abstract submission for the 2015 National Summit on HCV and HIV Diagnosis, Prevention and Access to Care is now open. The deadline for abstract submission is March 9, 2015. (February 27, 2015)
- NVHR newsletter - February 2015 (February 26, 2015)
- Department of Labor: Final Rule to Revise the Definition of "Spouse" Under the FMLA (February 24, 2015)
- February 24th Webinar on Living with Hepatitis B: Cultural Barriers, Stigma, and Institutional Discrimination hosted by Hep B United and the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (February 18, 2015)
- Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates. (February 18, 2015)
- CDC COCA Call/Webinar: Measles 2015: Situational Update, Clinical Guidance and Vaccination Recommendations, Feb. 19, 2 p.m. ET, U.S. callers dial-in: 888-469-3090; passcode: 3769846 (February 16, 2015)
- News release: NVHR applauds President Obama's commitment to fight viral hepatitis in Fiscal Year 2016 budget. (February 9, 2015)
- Register for a free webinar by the National Diabetes Education Program, "Population Health Management: Improving Health Where We Live, Work, and Play" on February 24. Also, the National Diabetes Education Program is rolling out its new Diabetes at Work website. Make this site a favorite for everything you need to know about supporting your workers who have a diagnosis of diabetes. (February 4, 2015)
- FDA's investigation into patients being injected with simulated IV fluids continues. (February 3, 3015)
- NAOHP will host a telephonic Occupational Health Town Hall on Monday, February 2 from 12:00-12:30 p.m. Eastern Time. (February 2, 2015)
- CDC Releases New Phase of the Know More Hepatitis Campaign. Learn more. (January 29, 2015)
- Join Legacy, Feb. 3 for a briefing on the Truth "Finish It" campaign. Register here. (January 29, 2015)
- January 26, 2015 CDC Health Alert - Measles Outbreak
- January 23, 2015 Two New NVHR Resources Launched:Treatment Access and State-Level HCV Data
- January 22, 2015 Register for a free webinar by the National Diabetes Education Program, "Population Health Management: Improving Health Where We Live, Work, and Play," on February 24.
- January 20, 2015 AHRQ 2015 Summer Intramural Fellowship Program Announced
- January 13, 2014 COCA Conference Call - January 14, 2015: 2014-2015 Influenza Activity and Antiviral Recommendations
- January 9, 2015 From the CDC Health Alert Network: Update Regarding Treatment of Patients with Influenza with Antiviral Medications
- January 8, 2015 New in the Infectious Disease/Ebola Resource Guide: New Evidence-Based Planning Guidance for Patient Decontamination
- January 8, 2015 Members may find the following documents helpful:
- Bureau of Labor Statistics releases Key Findings of the 2013 Survey of Occupational Illness and Injuries BLS Key Findings: 2013 Survey of Occupational Illness & Injuries
- OSHA Fact Sheets: Recordkeeping OSHA Fact Sheet - Recordkeeping
- OSHA Fact Sheet - Recordkeeping (2)
- OSHA State Plan Contact Information OSHA State Plan Contact Information
- December 23, 2014 Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates.
- December 22, 2014 NVHR December Newsletter
- December 17, 2014 Free Webinar - Thursday, Dec. 18: HIV Care Continuum: Keeping the Spotlight on Screening, Prevention and Treatment
- December 11, 2014 Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS), including e-cigarettes, should not be used by youth and adult non-tobacco users because of the adverse effects of nicotine and other risk exposures, as well as the risk for progression to other forms of tobacco use. As of November 30, 2014, 40 states have enacted laws prohibiting ENDS sales to minors, but only three of the 26 states and the District of Columbia that have comprehensive smoke-free air laws have incorporated ENDS. (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, December 11, 2014)
- December 8, 2014 Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates.
- December 4, 2014 CDC Health Advisory regarding the Potential for Circulation of Drifted Influenza A (H3N2) Viruses
- DC Health Advisory - Dec. 4, 2014
- December 2, 2014 Improve your community's health with Fit to a T, a free, public education program from the U.S. Bone & Joint Initiative.
- Nov. 30, 2014 OSHA Releases Fact Sheet: PPE Selection Matrix for Occupational Exposure to Ebola Virus. A link to the Fact Sheet is now available in the AAOHN Ebola Resources Guide.
- OSHA Fact Sheet - 11-24-2014
- Nov. 25, 2014 CDC Health Alert: Fatal Gastrointestinal Mucormycosis in an Infant Following Ingestion of Contaminated Dietary Supplement
- November 19, 2014 Conference Call: Monday, Nov. 24, 2 p.m. ET - Caring for Patients with Ebola in U.S. Hospitals: A Nursing Perspective
- November 17, 2014 Visit the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) page for the latest COCA updates.
- November 7, 2014 CDC: Watch Live Ebola Training Event Today, Nov. 7, 1-3 p.m. ET
- November 3, 2014 View our most recent letters of support, including AAOHN's stand with the Nursing Community in signing for swift coordinated action to protect the public and health care workers against Ebola Virus Disease.
- November 3, 2014 Free CEU Opportunity: Total Worker Health webinar series returns Nov. 14.
- November 3, 2014 NVHR Newsletter - October 2014
- October 29, 2014 SAGE to Begin Publishing Workplace Health & Safety, the official journal of AAOHN.
- October 29, 2014 AACN Releases Findings from a National Study on Academic Nursing's Progress in Transitioning to the Practice Doctorate - Read the press release.
- October 21, 2014 CDC News Release: Tightened Guidance for U.S. Healthcare Workers on Personal Protective Equipment for Ebola
- October 21, 2014 From NVHR: Medicare and Hepatitis C Testing
- October 20, 2014 News Release: AAOHN Publishes Ebola Resources Guide
- October 20, 2014 Monday, Oct. 20, 1 p.m. ET Join the live webcast: Preparing Your Health System for Ebola
- October 19, 2014 Monday, Oct. 20 Conference Call: Approaches to Clinical Management for Patients with Ebola Treated in U.S. Hospitals, 2-3:30 p.m. ET, Joining the call early is recommended. Dial in: 888-455-9766 (U.S. Callers) or 773-756-4625 (International Callers) Passcode: 5076538
- You are invited to join a conference call on Thursday, October 16th from 1:30-2:30 p.m. EDT with officials from the US Department of Health and Human Services to discuss protecting the health of nurses while safely caring for a patient with Ebola. Dial in: 1-888-395-7964, Passcode: 6429111
- October 14, 2014 Get the latest updates from the Community Outreach and Communications Activity (COCA). October 6 edition is now available online.
- October 6,2014 Official statement from ANA President Pam Cipriano, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN On Texas Ebola Case
- Oct. 2 ANA statement re: Ebola
- October 2, 2014 Clinician Outreach and Communications Activity (COCA) Update from the CDC - View the latest edition.
- Registration is now open for the 1st International Symposium to Advance Total Worker Health.
- September 29, 2014: CDC Health Advisory: Acute Neurologic Illness with Focal Limb Weakness of Unknown Etiology in Children
- CDC Heath Advisory - Sept. 26, 2014
- September 29, 2014: West Africa Ebola Outbreak Partner Conference Call - Please join your colleagues and partners in a special call with CDC to discuss CDC’s ongoing efforts to respond to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Time: 2:00 – 3:00 pm ET
Audio Dial In: 888-628-9527 (U.S. Callers); 517-308-9470 (International Callers)
- September 29, 2014: NIOSH Press Release re: manuscript titled: Adherence to Safe Handling Guidelines by Healthcare Workers Who Administer Antineoplastic Drugs. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/updates/upd-9-26-14.html
- September 26, 2014: Legacy presents " 'Counter' Marketing: An In-Depth Look at Tobacco Retail Sales" - Join the webcast roundtable discussion Oct. 7 at 12 p.m. ET.
- September 26, 2014: View 2014 Ebola Outbreak: Issues of Law, Policy, and Ethics and plan to attend the Oct 22 webinar, "What the OHN Needs to Know about Ebola" with Dr. David Weber.
- September 23, 2014: Webinar, Tuesday, Sept. 30 at 2 p.m. ET: Social Media Skills fo Nursing Organizations
- September 17, 2014: Join CDC experts for a call, "West Africa Ebola Outbreak: Updates and Experiences from the Field," Friday, September 19, 2014, 2:00 – 3:00 pm EDT. USA Toll Free: 800-988-9685; International: +1-210-234-0080; Passcode: 5312385
- September 15, 2014: From Occupational Health & Safety: OSHA Makes Big Change in Injury Reporting
- September 15, 2014: CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) Call Annoucement: Free webinar, "Enterovirus D68 in the United States:Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Treatment," Tuesday, Sept. 16 at 2 p.m. ET, and "Management and Prevention of Pediatric Influenza in Healthcare Settings," Thursday, Sept. 18 at 2 p.m. ET.
- September 12, 2014: Community Leaders Call for End to Hepatitis C Treatment Access Crisis - Learn more.
- September 3, 2014: NVHR Webinar: Conveying the Urgency of Baby Boomer Hepatitis C Testing, September 16, 3 p.m. ET Register here.
- August 28, 2014 Project Inform presents the Hepatitis C Infection and People Living with HIV Toolkit. Click on each of the thumbnails pictured to download the documents in PDF format.
- August 28, 2014: The Nursing Community presents a wewbinar, "The 2014 Midterm Federal Elections and What Nurses Need to Know," Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014, 3-4 p.m. ET.
- Registration is now open for the 1st International Symposium to Advance Total Worker Health.
- August 22, 2014 CDC Health Alert Network issues Ebola Update and Talking Points: CDC HAN Ebola Response Update #2
- Ebola Key Messages - 8/19/14
- August 20, 2014 Get the latest news from the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable (NVHR) in the NVHR August Newsletter
- August 18, 2014 AAOHN members will receive a 15% discount when they register for the 2014 Mediterranean Diet & Workplace Health Conference at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), presented by the Initiative for Productivity and Health Management and The Cooking Odyssey, held in Boston, September 27 & 28.
- August 8, 2014 From the CDC/NIOSH: Read the latest issue of TWH In Action
- August 4, 2014 Wednesday, August 6, 3:30-5 p.m. EDT: Join Legacy for a free webinar about the Truth campaign encouraging youth to be the generation that ends smoking.
- August 4, 2014 CDC Health Advisory: Guidelines for Evaluation of US Patients Suspected of Having Ebola Virus Disease CDC Health Advisory - Ebola Virus
- July 29, 2014: Official CDC Health Advisory: Ebola Virus Disease Confirmed in a Traveler to Nigeria; Two U.S. Healthcare Workers in Liberia CDC Health Advisory
- July 28, 2014: Watch as the White House Office of National AIDS Policy, Office of National Drug Control Policy and White House Initiative for AAPIs commemorate World Hepatitis Day and recognize leaders in the field. View the live stream here on Wednesday, July 30, 12-2:30 p.m. EDT.
- July 22, 2014: Has your company signed on to support National African American Hepatitis C Action Day on Friday, July 25, 2014? ow.ly/zsfIq
- July 21, 2014: Free live webinar, July 30: Acute Coronoary Syndrome: Safe Transition to Home...and Health
- July 21, 2014: Registration is now open for the 1st International Symposium to Advance Total Worker Health.
- July 18, 2014: World Hepatitis Day is July 28. Learn more.
- July 17, 2014: NIOSH is offering resources to help you obsere N95 Day on September 5. Learn more about this important recognition of respiratory protection awareness.
- July 17, 2014: Study: Registered Nurses are delaying retiremen; contributing to larger workforce. Read more from Health Affairs.
- July 17, 2014: A 2014 Hepatitis C Drug Guide is now available from Project Inform. A free webinar, "Scaling Up Risk-based Hepatitis C Screening in the U.S.," is scheduled for July 23, 2014.
- July 9, 2014: Free continuing education from the National Center for Emerging & Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on July 17, 2-3pm EDT: Love the Pets, Not the Germs: CDC Update on Enteric Zoonoses
- July 2, 2014: Action Alert: Urge your Senators to co-sponsor the Viral Hepatitis Testing Act.
- July 2, 2014: CDC offers two recorded Updates for Clinicians on Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV): May 6 recording and May 28 recording with Interim Clinical Guidance. To receive updates from CDC’s Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA), sign up here. This will enable you to receive notices of future calls and learn about previously recorded calls on illnesses such as Measles, Chikungunya, Tickborne Diseases, Malaria and more.
- June 30, 2014: Two Upcoming Hepatitis C Webinars from The AIDS Institute: Deconstructing HCV Treatment (July 9) and Coverage of Hepatitis C Testing Under the Affordable Care Act (July 10)
- June 23, 3014: CDC Clinicial Outreach and Communication Activity Update - June 16 edition
- June 18, 2014: If you missed the live broadcast June 11, now you can watch the webcast of the Warner Lecture series. Mitch Zeller, director of the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products, spoke one-on-one with Legacy President and CEO Robin Koval about the Center's vision for the regulation of tobacco products to help reduce the death and disease toll caused by tobacco use.
- June 18, 2014 AAOHN Careers Committee releases poster and summary of the changing role of occupational health nurses. Learn more.
- June 13, 2014 Free webinar - June 19: Healthy Swimming: Prevent and Treat Infections Caused by Brain-Eating Amebas and Chlorine-Tolerant Parasites
- June 9, 2014 On June 11, Legacy will host the second in a series of thought leader discussions delving deeper into the findings and recommendations from the Surgeon General’s 50th Anniversary Report on the Health Consequences of Smoking. Learn more.
- June 9, 2014 Wednesday, June 11 at 3 p.m. ET - The Center for Health Law & Policy Innovation and Project Inform will facilitate a call to learn about issues affecting patient access to hepatitis C medication throughout the country. Call in: 303-248-0285 passcode: 5807301
- June 2, 2014 CDC Health Advisory - Guidance to US Clinicians re: New WHO Polio vaccination requirements for Travel by Residents of and Long-term Visitors to Countries with Active Polio Tansmission
- May 30, 2014 On May 27, 2014, the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) released its final recommendations on hepatitis B screening of non-pregnant adolescents and adults.
- May 12, 2014 Call for 2015 Conference Abstracts! Abstracts Submissions for the 2015 National Conference are open. The deadline for submissions has been extended to June 14, 2014.
- April 21, 2014 Update: CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity - April 21, 2014
- April 21, 2014 News from the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable - April 2014 issue
- April 7, 2014 NIOSH Science Blog: Do we need to challenge respirator filters with biological aerosols? NIOSH is seeking information and comments to assess whether NIOSH should consider additional filter test methods to enhance existing requirements. Are there any important developments in aerosol science or key scientific data that would better inform NIOSH on the filtration of biological aerosols? This request for information was published in a Federal Register Notice on March 14, 2014. Comments may be submitted directly to NIOSH Docket #272 through regulations.gov. Deadline for comments is April 14.
- April 1, 2014 Approval for your CNE Activity: Are you interested in submitting a CNE activity approval application, but would like some guidance on completing it? Learn about our new writable application form. Attend a live, instructional webinar Tuesday, April 22, 3:00-4:00 p.m. CDT. Reserve your webinar seat now.
- April 1, 2014 From the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable: Urge senators to sign appropriations letter:Action Alert from NVHR - April 1, 2014
- March 31, 2014 From the CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity: March 24, 2014 update
- March 24, 2014 Free Webinar - March 31: "Informatics Strategies & Tools to Link Nursing Care with Patient Outcomes in the Learning Health Care System" Learn more.
- March 24, 2014 Legacy will present a lecture/webcast March 31, "Up in Smoke: The Beginning of the End of Combustible Tobacco Products." Learn more.
- March 10, 2014 Press Release: AAOHN and ACOEM to Study Impact of Increased Use of Marijuana on Workplace Health & Safety
- March 7, 2014 Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services proposes to cover Hepatitis C testing as a preventive service benefit for at-risk populations. A final ruling is expected in June. You can read the draft memo here
- March 6, 2014 Joe Dear, former assistant secretary of labor at OSHA during the Clinton Administration, passed away February 26, 2014 at the age of 62, as reported in this Los Angeles Times article.
- February 26, 2014 Sloan Center on Aging & Work at Boston College releases fact sheet on Health and the Older Worker.
- February 26, 2014 News from the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable - February 2014 Read here.
- February 25, 2014 International Labour Organization (ILO) World Day for Safety and Health at Work is April 28. The theme is "Safety and Health in the Use of Chemicals at Work." Plan to recognize the occasion with a poster and other tools.
- February 25, 2014 From the March of Dimes: Healthy Babies Healthy Business: Improving Outcomes in Your Workforce
- February 19, 2014 New PreventionMatters infographic shows how working together, we can keep Americans healthy: http://1.usa.gov/1ctknth
- February 12, 2014 From the CDC: TWH in Action newsletter
- February 12, 2014 USPSTF releases draft Hepatitis B Screening Recommendations. The draft recommends (with a “B” grade) testing everyone who is at high risk for hepatitis B infection. You can help make sure the draft “B” grade stays in the final recommendations by submitting public comment. You can write a brief statement of support for the recommendations with a message about why screening those at risk for hepatitis B is important to you, your community, or people you serve. Public comment is being accepted until 5 p.m. ET, March 10, 2014, and you can submit your comments here.
- February 10, 2014 AAOHN members: Please urge members of Congress to support the Veteran's Health Administration's recent change in their Nursing Handbook, which allows nurses with advanced training to practice medicine without physician supervision throughout the VHA system. Show your support here.
- January 22, 2014 AAOHN member Gail King, RN, OHN, helps keep employees of the Ellen DeGeneres Show healthy during flu season: Watch the video.
- January 22, 2014 This month marks the 50th anniversary of the landmark Surgeon General's report that first warned of the dangers of smoking. Learn more:
- January 21, 2014 Central Industrial Hygiene Association of India (CIHA) invites EHS professionals to attend first National Conference In industrial Hygiene at Mumbai, India, February 13-14, 2014. The conference is organized in collaboration with American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH) and American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN). AAOHN President Pam Carter is one of the speakers scheduled to present at the conference. Learn more:
- January 21, 2014 CDC Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) webinars planned: Jan. 23: 2013-2014 Influenza Season: Updates and Recommendations for Clinicians; Jan. 28: Malaria Cases in the US Reach 40-Year High: Information and Guidance for Clinicians
- January 21, 2014 News Update from the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable
- January 10, 2014 The American Nurses Association announces a call for applications for the Nursing Scope and Standards Revision Workgroup and an associated Nursing Scope and Standards Revision Advisory Workgroup to undertake the review and revision of the 2010 Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice. The Revision Workgroup will meet two times per month via two-hour conference calls and via email starting in early 2014. The Advisory Workgroup will dialogue electronically and may also be invited to participate in one or two conference calls in 2014. All registered nurse applicants must be either an ANA member OR a member of one of ANA’s two Premier Organizational Affiliates (Association of periOperative Registered Nurses and the American Psychiatric Nurses Association). Electronic applications for this 12-18 month intensive professional work effort will be accepted through January 31, 2014. Learn more.
- January 10, 2014 The CDC has issued a fact sheet and report on the abuse of alcohol in the United States, stating that dialogue between healthcare professionals and their patients can reduce alcohol consumption significantly. Alcohol screening and counseling is an effective but underused health service. Excessive alcohol intake is associated with an increase in heart disease, breast cancer, sexually transmitted diseases, unintended pregnancy, fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, sudden infant death syndrome, motor-vehicle crashes, violence, and suicide. See how the CDC System’s changes such as discussing alcohol intake with your health provider have been shown to reduce alcohol consumption by 25%.
- December 23, 2013 AAOHN members are invited to participate in Buck Consultants' WORKING WELL: A Global Survey of Health Promotion, Workplace Wellness, and Productivity Strategies. The survey is designed to gain insight into how employers around the world implement and evaluate strategic wellness and health promotion initiatives to improve employee health and morale, control costs, and enhance workforce productivity and performance.
- December 20, 2013 The White House yesterday released new national and state reports showing the costs of repealing the health care law.
- December 19, 2013 Viral Hepatitis Testing Legislation Introduced in Congress Learn more: Viral Hepatitis Testing Legislation Introduced
- December 10, 2013 In Controlling Health Hazards to Hospital Workers: A Reference Guide, specialists in occupational medicine from the United States and India describe ways to control everything from anesthetic gases to X-rays. Hazards addressed include lifting and other ergonomic hazards, communicable diseases, hazardous drugs, chemicals, radiation, violence, stress and shift work. The Mount Sinai School of Medicine and the New York State Nurses Association have made this supplemental issue of New Solutions (Baywood Publishing) available for free in order to reach healthcare professionals and hospital workers around the world.
- December 10, 2013 ANA to offer free weight management webinar January 9. Learn more.
- November 25, 2013 Call for Abstracts for the ICN Conference to be held in Seoul, Republic of Korea, June 19-23, 2015. With the theme “Global Citizen, Global Nursing”, the ICN 2015 Conference will provide a global platform for the dissemination of nursing knowledge and leadership across specialities, cultures and countries. Learn more.
- November 19, 2013 New ANA Survey Evaluates RN Health, Wellness, Safety Learn more.
- November 1, 2013 The holidays and the New Year are just around the corner. How about a new “you” to be thankful for? This month only, in honor of nurses striving to be healthy, the American Nurses Association’s HealthyNurse™ program and Weight Watchers is offering a special “get one month free” discount for either Weight Watchers meetings or Weight Watchers online programs. Nurses, this is a time-limited offer just for you, only from Nov 1-30. Visit www.weightwatchers.com/healthynurse today for further details and to start your journey to a healthier weight.
- October 25, 2013 Depictions of nurses behaving unprofessionally can undermine the respect patients have for the most trusted profession. For those concerned with the recent MTV show, Scrubbing In, you can sign a petition against it and encourage friends and family to refrain from watching.
- October 9, 2013 Urge Senators to Block Bill Delaying Trucker OSA Screening Learn more and find contact information for your senator. (shared courtesy of the National Sleep Foundation)
- October 2, 2013 Commentary on Investing in an Aging Workforce from Kenneth Scott, Fellow, Sloan Center on Aging & Work, Boston College
- September 30, 2013 Tuesday, October 1 begins Open Enrollment for healthcare coverage via the Affordable Care Act. For the most current information for coaching your employees, their families and the community, visit: www.healthcare.gov or www.marketplace.cms.gov or call 1-800-318-2596.
- September 26, 2013 Guidelines from CDC and the State and Territorial Council of Epidemiologists: Investigating Suspected Cancer Clusters and Responding to Community Concerns
- September 25, 2013 Marilyn Tavenner, administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), who is a registered nurse, recorded this special video message for nurses across the country that highlights the critical roles nurses will play in health care reform and information resources you can use to learn more about the Marketplace.
- September 5, 2013 AAOHN has signed a letter calling upon Dept. of Health & Human Services Secretary Sebelius to ensure that the next Viral Hepatitis Action Plan includes a strong focus on ending disparities for African Americans. As an AAOHN member, you can sign the letter as an inidividual, as well. Signatures are needed by COB, September 13.
- September 5, 2013 Today is N95 Day, an observance of respiratory protection in the workplace. View resources available from NIOSH and the NPPTL.
- August 31, 2013 NIOSH offers free online course to train nurses to recognize and prevent workplace violence.
- August 29, 2013 Legacy and the Lung Alliance will host an in-person lecture and webcast, Demystifying Lung Cancer Screenings, Sept. 10. Learn more.
- August 23, 2013 OSHA Announces Proposed Rule to Protect Workers Exposed to Crystalline Silica Read the press release.
- August 23, 2013 By October 1, 2013, help your employers provide employees with notice of the availability of coverage through public health insurance exchanges.August 22, 2013 CDC Seeks Participants for Tips from Former Smokers Campaign Learn more.
- August 15, 2013 FDA issues sterile products recall notice. Learn more.
- August 12, 2013 Workplace Violence Prevention - Free online course for nurses and direct-care healthcare professionals Learn more
- August 12, 2013 NIOSH eNews - August 2013 issue
- August 8, 2013 CDC Releases 2014 Edition of "Yellow Book" Learn more.
- July 29, 2013 AOHP Offers Archived Webinars Learn more.
- July 11, 2013 Free Webinar - MERS-CoV: Infection Prevention and Control
- John Howard, M.D., J.D.
- Thursday, July 11, 2013 from noon to 1 p.m. CDT Learn more.
- July 8, 2013 The Harvard School of Public Health and Brigham and Women's Hospital seek female nurses ages 20-46 to participate in the Nurses' Health Study.
- July 1, 2013 The AAOHN Election Committee invites members to nominate a colleague or submit a self-nomination for this year’s ballot, which will consist of a Director from each region (Term: 2014-2017). Please take a moment to consider running for national office and/or nominate a colleague. Your help in this important process can make AAOHN an even stronger organization. The deadline to submit nominations is July 31, 2013, and candidate materials are due August 20, 2013. For more information, visit theAAOHN website or contact Shelah Fletcher
- June 25, 2013 News from NVHR: National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable Hails U.S. Preventive Services Task Force for New Hep C Testing Recommendation
- June 24, 2013 NIOSH Revises B Readings for Chest X-Rays Learn more.
- June 23, 2013 Later this week, AAOHN will join ANA and other subject matter experts in introducing Safe Patient Handling and Mobility Standards. Learn more and watch a video about the standards featuring Donna L. Zankowski, RN, BS, COHN, President, Seneca Valley, Maryland AAOHN .
- June 11, 2013 National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable to host webinar June 27: The Affordable Care Act & Viral Hepatitis: Opportunities and Challenges
- June 8, 2013 CDC Health Alert - Human Infections with Avian Flu
- June 7, 2013 CDC Health Update - Health Infections with Avian Influenza A
- June 6, 2013 News from ABOHN about the Safety Management Exam and Certification
- 2013 Workers' Compensation Benchmarking Survey Learn more and take the survey.
- Spirometry Training News - NIOSH has instituted a seven-month grace period for individuals with a current valid certificate to complete refresher training. Learn More.
- Join AAOHN in the National Bike Challenge Learn more.
- CDC data shows most people reported with Hepatitis C are Baby Boomers and many may not receive complete testing for the virus View press release
- Abstract Submissions for the AAOHN 2014 Conference and the AAOHN 2014 Global Summit are now open! You must be logged in to submit abstracts.