Office on Smoking and Health Request for Assistance with Recruitment for the Tips From Former Smokers Campaign--Recruitment deadline EXTENDED
CDC’s Office on Smoking and Health has extended recruitment for the next Tips From Former Smokers campaign until October 21, 2013. Attached are flyers you can share with your workforce.
Additionally, if you know of any people whom you feel would be a good candidate for this campaign, please pass their contact information on to Recruitment Director Mimi Webb Miller at
or (855) 332-7277. As with previous campaign efforts, you can be assured that anyone you refer to us will be treated with respect and sensitivity.
The campaign is seeking people across all population groups, but particularly candidates who are Asians or Spanish speaking individuals. All applicants must be tobacco-free for at least 6 months.
We are looking for ex-smokers:
• Who have or have had colorectal cancer that was linked to cigarette smoking (ages 40-65).
• Who have or have had periodontal disease (gum disease) identified by their dentist or doctor, due to their smoking (ages 30-60).
• Who have HIV and have taken their medications as advised, but had their health get worse because of their smoking (men ages 25-50).
We are also looking for WOMEN who are ex-smokers:
• Who have suffered from a heart attack due to smoking (ages 40-60).
• Who have had lung cancer that was caused by smoking (ages 40-60).
• Who smoked during their pregnancy and had a baby born with a cleft lip, cleft palate or low birth weight (less than 5 pounds, 8 ounces).
• Who smoked during their pregnancy and experienced pre-term delivery (before 37 weeks), placental abruption, placental previa, fetal growth restriction, or premature rupture of the membranes (when the water breaks before labor starts).
We are looking for someone who lost a family member before the age of 55 due to one of the following smoking-related diseases: COPD, heart attack, stroke, lung cancer, throat cancer or colorectal cancer.
In order to qualify, participants must be able to travel for filming and be willing to submit to a criminal background check. Please see the attached recruitment flyer for additional information regarding qualifications. The compensation for participating in this campaign is $2,500 and all travel expenses will be paid for.