NVHR Executive Director Selected as HCV Change Maker
NVHR’s Executive Director, Ryan Clary, has been selected as a HCV Change Maker by The Economist Intelligence Unit. This research-based program aims to spark debate and action on HCV policy, access to care, and equity.
This nomination particularly highlights NVHR’s work bringing coalitions together to eliminate restrictions to hepatitis C treatment access in state Medicaid programs. NVHR is honored by this nomination, and will continue to strive to move the needle on this “Path to Zero.” Read more about the Change Makers here.
NVHR Webinar: Hepatitis C Treatment Access: State-Level Advocacy Successes
Join us for Friday, September 9, 2016 from 1:00–2:30 pm Eastern for a webinar highlighting the work of advocates who have led successful efforts to expand access to hepatitis C treatment in their states. The webinar moderator is Ronni Marks, Executive Director and founder of the Hepatitis C Mentor and Support Group, Inc.
Our panelists are:
- Matt Curtis, Policy Director at VOCAL-NY.
- Alexandra Shirreffs, Viral Hepatitis Prevention Coordinator at Philadelphia Department of Public Health and co-chair of the Hepatitis C Allies of Philadelphia (HepCAP).
- Dr. Stacey Trooskin, Director of Viral Hepatitis Programs at Philadelphia FIGHT and co-chair of the Hepatitis C Allies of Philadelphia (HepCAP).
Upcoming Webinar: Hepatitis C Screening in Emergency Departments
Join us for a webinar on Monday, September 26, 2016 from 12:00-1:30pm on hepatitis C screening in emergency departments. Our panelists will discuss their work implementing hepatitis C screening initiatives, targeted versus universal screening, and the challenges of sustaining these programs.
Our panelists are:
- Dr. James Galbraith, Associate Professor in the Department Emergency Medicine at the University of Alabama.
- Dr. Richard Rothman, Professor and Vice Chair of Research for the Department of Emergency Medicine at Johns Hopkins and the Department of Medicine’s Division of Infectious Diseases.
- Dr. Douglas White, Director of HIV Screening and Director of Education, Alameda County Medical Center, at Highland Hospital in Oakland, California.
Register for the webinar here!
NVHR Seeks Public Policy Director
NVHR is seeking a Public Policy Director, based in Washington, DC, to lead the development and implementation of the organization’s policy and advocacy agenda at the federal level. Click here to view the job description.
NVHR Pharmacy Working Group Call
In September, NVHR will hold another Pharmacy Working Group Call with partners interested in the role of pharmacists in viral hepatitis. We will hear from Joe Hill, Director of Government Relations with American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, who will give an update on piece of federal legislation to expand pharmacist scope of practice.
NVHR Submits Comments on National Coverage Determination: HBV Screening in Medicare
In July, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has released a proposed decision memo for adding hepatitis B screening as a covered Medicare preventive service at no cost to Medicare beneficiaries who are at high risk.
NVHR submitted comments in support of this proposed memo in August, while also strongly urging CMS to reconsider the limitation of coverage to screening ordered by a beneficiary’s primary care provider in a primary care setting, as this restriction would create obstacles to identify those who are chronically infected who could be screened in a broad array of settings, such as emergency departments. The final decision memo is expected in a few months.
NVHR 2016 Corporate Members
NVHR thanks our 2016 Corporate Members for their generous support and partnership. Members include: AbbVie, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gilead Sciences, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Merck, OraSure Technologies, Quest Diagnostics, and Walgreens.